I heard Chilli Con Carne means ‘chilli with meat’ and that is exactly what it is, a dish of meat, beans, tomato with a chilli taste. I find Chilli Con Carne very versatile. You can eat it as Chilli Con Carne or you can add other ingredients and turn it into a completely different meal. You could use the chilli con carne as the basis of other Mexican dishes. For instance, add a wrap, salad, cheese, salsa and sour cream and you have a soft taco.
Utensils required: frypan - preferably with a lid, stirring spoon, bowl and spoon to eat from.
Serve: in a bowl with a little grated cheese and/or sour cream on top. You could use the chill as the meat in a taco - simply add salad, grated cheese, salsa and sour cream.
Leftovers: If there are any leftovers eat the next day or turn into tacos for your next dinner meal.
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 packet chilli con carne seasoning
- 1 can (425g) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (310g) red kidney beans
- Optional: I add grated carrot or some rice to expand the recipe. If I have a brown onion I chop that finely and cook it with the mince for added flavour.
- In a nonstick frying pan, brown the mince.
- Stir in the chilli con carne seasoning.
- Add tomatoes, beans and ½ cup (or tin) of water.
- Cover and simmer gently, stirring often, until the mince is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
© 2023 Copyright Travellers Fare
Like this Recipe, Please Pin It.